LASIK Surgery Day
WHAT TO EXPECT ON LASIK SURGERY DAY
LASIK is an outpatient procedure that is performed at our Bismarck, ND, location. Our entire staff will work hard to make you as comfortable and relaxed as possible during your surgery day visit which will take approximately 1-2 hours. Although your time in our surgical suite will only take 20 minutes, we need a little extra time to have you complete last-minute paperwork and rest before and after the procedure.
If you are feeling especially anxious, we can provide relaxation medication to help calm your nerves.
Here is how the surgery process will go:
- You will relax in a comfortable bed.
- Numbing anesthetic eye drops will be placed into your eyes.
- A special tool will be placed into your eyes to keep your eyes open.
- Dr. Selid will use a femtosecond laser to create a thin flap on your cornea. You may feel a sensation of pressure during this part.
- The flap is folded back to allow access to the underlying corneal tissue.
- An excimer laser is used to reshape the cornea by removing small amounts of corneal tissue according to your unique refractive error. This step takes just minutes to accomplish. Eye tracking technology will detect the slightest eye movement and stop the laser until the eye is in perfect position again.
- The flap is folded back into proper position where it begins to heal immediately.
- You will then rest in our pre-op suite and Dr. Selid will perform one final check of your eyes.
- When Dr. Selid gives the ok, you will be free to have a friend drive you home so you can rest.
The next morning most patients wake up to life with clear vision, although it may take a few months for your vision to completely stabilize.
AFTER LASIK SURGERY
Some patients experience temporary eye discomfort after LASIK surgery at Dakota Eye including:
- Mild pain/irritation
- Itching or burning
- Hazy vision
- Light sensitivity
- Dry eyes
It is important to avoid rubbing your eyes while your corneal flap heals to avoid infection or other complications. Discuss any of these conditions at your post-op appointment and contact Dr. Selid if they continue.
Are you ready for clear vision? If so, contact us to schedule a free LASIK Consultation.